The Philippines is the last country in Asia and one of only three countries worldwide with a 10-year pre-university cycle (Angola and Djibouti are the other two). A 13-year program is found to be the best period for learning under basic education. It is also the recognized standard for students and professionals globally. (DepEd)
To improve the quality of education, the Department of Education (DepEd) decided to implement K-12 Curriculum. Meycauayan College, as one of the leading private schools in Meycauayan adopts the scheme to enhance MCians’ knowledge (MC Bamboo Editorial 2015).
Senior High School (SHS)
- What is Senior High School? Senior High School (SHS) covers the last two years of the K to 12 program and includes Grades 11 and 12. In SHS, students will go through a core curriculum and subjects under a track of their choice. These two additional years will equip learners with skills that will better prepare them for the future, whether it be:
- Skills Development (Further Tech-Voc training)
- Higher Education (College)
- What are the Tracks and Strands of Senior High School?
- Academic (which includes Business, Science & Engineering, Humanities & Social Science, and a General Academic strand)
- Technical-Vocational-Livelihood (with highly specialized subjects with TESDA qualifications)
- Arts & Design
- How will students choose their Senior High School Specializations? Students will undergo assessments to determine their strengths and interests. These will include an aptitude test, a career assessment exam, and an occupational interest inventory for high schools. Career advocacy activities will also be conducted to help guide students in choosing their specialization or track.
- Is SHS really necessary? Yes, according to the law. Beginning SY 2016-2017, after Grade 10, the student must go through Grades 11 and 12 to graduate from High School. Otherwise, he/she will be a Grade 10 completer, but not a high school graduate. Elementary graduates are those who finish Grade 6; high school graduates must have finished Grade 12.
- What are the stages of K to 12? The K to 12 Program covers 13 years of basic education with the following key stages:
– Kindergarten to Grade 3
– Grades 4 to 6
– Grades 7 to 10 (Junior High School)
– Grades 11 and 12 (Senior High School)
- Is Meycauayan College ready for Senior High School?
The Bamboo Editorial
Volume LVVIV No. 2, March 2015
DepEd. Senior High School | Department of Education. Retrieved (October 2015) from <http://www.deped.gov.ph/k-to-12>